Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sharon bags first title after fourth attempt


PETALING JAYA: Sharon Wee claimed her first title of the year after bagging the NSC Star 1 No2 squash title at the KL Squash Centre in Jalan Duta yesterday.

Sharon, Malaysia's No. 2, scored an easy 9-4, 9-3, 9-4 win over Japan’s Chinatsu Matsui, the world number 61 and eighth seed in the final, which lasted 35 minutes.

“It’s a relief to finally win a tournament this year. It’s my fourth final of the year and it was a good chance for me to win. The opportunity was there and I took it,” said Sharon, the world number 20.

Sharon’s other three final appearances were in the NSC Super Satellite No. 1 (May), NSC Tour 10 No.1 (September) and the Crocodile Open in Hong Kong in September.

“I could see that Chinatsu worked hard to reach the final. She played better compared to our two previous meetings earlier this year but I am glad I stayed focussed.”

Sharon had beaten Chinatsu in the qualifying tournaments of the Malaysian Open (July) and Singapore Open (August) earlier this year.

In yesterdays' final, Sharon took a 3-1 lead before securing the first game 9-4.

She then took a 7-3 lead in the second game following which Chinatsu made two unforced errors and gifted two points for Sharon to win the second game at 9-3.

In the third game, Sharon stepped up the pace and romped to 8-0 lead.

Chinatsu tried to crawl her way back into the match but could only win four points before Sharon sealed the match at 9-4.

“I had to work for the win and I am happy with the way I played.

“Some of my shots were really good especially the volleys in the third game. I even won the last point of the match with a volley,” added Sharon.

Meanwhile, Khasif Shuja of New Zealand beat India’s Ritwik Bhattacharya 11-9, 11-9, 8-11, 11-10 (2-0) to win the men’s title.

No comments: