Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rugby News

American flyer all the rave

MONTPELLIER: American radiology student Takudzwa Ngwenya can expect an upsurge in interest from European clubs after he exposed Springbok speedster Bryan Habana for pace with a sensational try.

Ngwenya, who left native Zimbabwe to study in the United States, ignited the crowd when he scorched past Habana, reputedly the fastest man in rugby, to finish off an electrifying 85m try just before half-time.

South Africa won easily enough, 64-15, to advance to the quarter-finals where they will play Fiji in Marseille on Sunday, but 22-year-old Ngwenya’s searing try was the major talking point from the game.

Ngwenya, whose parents won the US green card lottery, was timed at 10.7 seconds for 100m when at school in Zimbabwe.

But the avowed Springboks’ fans on Monday by talking down his achievement of burning off Habana, the prolific Springbok try-scoring machine.

“I’m not sure I outpaced him, I just made him stop. I would never have run on the outside of anybody so these games must be giving me confidence,” Ngwenya said.

“The Springboks were my favourite team when I was growing up in Zimbabwe so it’s a good feeling to score a try against them. I also wanted to tackle Percy (Montgomery) because he is my favourite player, but I didn’t get a chance.” – AFP

No comments: